It's spooky time: Here's what's happening in and around Jackson County for Halloween
Halloween is a time for people of all ages to get their spook on. Whether you're a thrill-seeker, or just want to pick your own pumpkin, there's plenty to do at these locations and events in and near the county.
Halloween events in Jackson County
Ripley's library is kicking off October with its Spooktastic Halloween Story Time sessions. Children of all ages are welcome to listen to Halloween tales at the library in Ripley. Here are the dates and times.
- Oct. 14 at 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 19 at 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 21 at 6 p.m.
- Oct. 28 at 6 p.m.
The last two storytimes require sign-ups because there will be crafts for participants.
The library, located at 208 N Church St., isn't stopping with its storytimes. It's also hosting a Halloween party on Oct. 29 at 6 p.m. The event will have games, food and crafts for all who stop by.
Ripley is hosting a trick-or-treat event on Oct. 30 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. within city limits. Ravenswood is also hosting its trick-or-treat event in city limits on the same day and at the same time.
Looking for a ghostly treat? Hallowbeans and I Scream Sundae located on Ripley's Main Street can satisfy any caffeine or sweet tooth craving you may have. Both of the shops offer fun, eerie treats that scream Halloween. Hallowbeans is open from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. I Scream Sundae is open from 12 to 8 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and 1 to 8 p.m. on Sundays.
Here are some more Halloween events in Jackson County.
- West Virginia's Artisan Market, located on Ripley's Main Street, is hosting a Halloween paint event Sat. Oct. 16. Participants will paint a picture of a black cat in a witch's hat overlooking a city. It costs $35 per person and there are two sessions — one at 10 a.m. and another at 2 p.m. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Fairplain Yacht Club is hosting a Halloween Bash for people 21 and older on Oct. 29 starting at 9 p.m. There will be a costume contest and giveaways.
- Jackson County Jr. Fair Horse Committee is hosting a haunted trail on Oct. 29 and 30 from 8 to 11 p.m. Admission is $5 per person.
- Greenhills Country Club is hosting a trunk or treat from 6 to 8 p.m. on Oct. 30 and a kids costume contest from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Halloween events around Jackson County
There isn't a pumpkin patch in Jackson County, but there are plenty within an hour's drive.
- Clay Center for the Arts & Sciences of West Virginia is hosting its Halloweekends event filled with family fun on Oct. 16 and 23 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be a mad science lab, ghoulish games, trick or treat bag decorating and a scavenger hunt. Purchase a general admission ticket to the museum and have access to these spooky eve
- Chandler Pumpkin Farm LLC: Located in Elkview, West Virginia, this pumpkin patch has a $7 admission fee. It's open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday through Sunday. One activity that sets this farm aside from the others is its apple slingshots, which are three for $1.
- Gritt's Farm: Located in Buffalo, West Virginia, the possibilities for fall fun are endless on the 300-acre property with its 16 attractions. The farm is open Friday from 2 to 7 p.m.; Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. General admission on Fridays is $12.75 and Saturdays and Sundays are $14.75.
- Cooper Family Farm and Corn Maze: This Milton, West Virginia farm is known for its haunted corn maze. With general admission priced at $8 for people 4 and older, this location has great options for those who want to experience scary and family-friendly activities in one location.
Pumpkin patches aren't the only way to celebrate the upcoming holiday. For those who enjoy a good scare, here are some haunted houses and tours happening within an hour's drive of Jackson County.
- Fear on the Farm: This Winfield, West Virginia haunted house has plenty of options for fear seekers. Fear on the Farm has haunted houses, escape rooms and a coffin-themed ride for those who don't scare easily.
- Charleston Ghost Tour Company: Take a walking tour in Charleston that focuses on the haunted tales of the state capitol. Tours occur every Thursday through Saturday until Nov. 5. Admission for people 13 and older is $10.
- Haunted Parkersburg Ghost Tour: Located at the Blennerhassett Hotel in downtown Parkersburg, this tour is both educational and frightening. The tour begins at 7:30 p.m. every Friday and Saturday of October, and of course, Halloween night. Admission for people 14 or older is $15.
— Katelyn Waltemyer (she/her) is the General Assignment and Enterprise Reporter for Jackson Newspapers in Jackson County, West Virginia. Have a news tip on local government or education? Or a good feature? You can reach Katelyn at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @Kate_Waltemyer.