Jackson County Schools schedules kindergarten screening
Screening for children entering kindergarten in the fall has been scheduled by Jackson County Schools for the months of April and May. Kindergarten enrollees are screened for vision, hearing and speech. The screening takes approximately 40 minutes to complete.
Listed below are the scheduled clinics. Parents need to call the school at the phone number listed and make their appointment by the deadline listed.
- Thursday, April 15, at Fairplain Elementary School, 304-372-7340. Deadline to make appointment: Thursday, April 8.
- Monday, April 19, at Gilmore Elementary School, a.m., 304-273-3511. Deadline to make appointment: Monday, April 12.
- Tuesday, April 20, at Evans Elementary School, 304-372-7333. Deadline to make appointment: Monday, April 12.
- Friday, April 23, at Ripley Elementary School, 304-372-7345. Deadline to make appointment: Friday, April 16.
- Monday, April 26, at Kenna Elementary School, 304-372-2262. Deadline to make appointment: Monday, April 19.
- Thursday, April 29, at Cottageville Elementary School, p.m., 304-372-7330. Deadline to make appointment: Monday, April 26.
- Friday, April 30, at Henry J. Kaiser Elementary School, 304-273-2692. Parents should park in the Church of Christ parking lot located across the street from the school. Deadline to make appointment: Friday, April 23.
Parents will need to bring the following information with them when their child is screened:
- Child's immunization records
- Certified birth certificate*
- Child's social security card
- Child's medical card (if applicable)
- Kids First HealthCheck Form or equivalent documentation**
- Verification of a dental exam within the last 12 months***
Your child’s immunization record is checked during the screening. The Jackson County Health Department will be open from 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. every Wednesday to administer immunizations (be sure to bring child’s most current immunization record).
*Prior to starting school in the fall, parents must present a certified birth certificate. Applications for certified copies of certificate of birth are available at the Vital Registration Office, 350 Capitol St., Room 165, Charleston, WV 25301.
**Kids First HealthCheck is a comprehensive screening that includes hearing, speech/language, growth and development. All children enrolling in kindergarten will receive this wellness exam from their family physician.
***Verification of a dental exam within the last 12 months per WVDE Policy 2423.
For more information, contact Rhonda Jelich, director of elementary education, at 304-372-7308.