It came down to the end.

And the ending had Buffalo escaping Ravenswood's Flinn Field with a 20-14 victory over the Red Devils in the second weekend of West Virginia high school football. It was the home opener for the Devils after a Week 1 win on the road at Wahama. Buffalo entered off a home loss to Greenbrier West.

The win by Buffalo moved both teams to 1-1 on the season and prevented Ravenswood from a nice 2-0 start going into an early bye week in the 2019 season.

The Devils appeared to be in pretty good shape for that second win as they owned a 14-13 advantage and possession of the football at the 3:15 mark in the fourth with Buffalo out of timeouts.

The offensive series, though, stalled forcing Ravenswood to punt the ball away.

The Bison took over and on their third play from scrimmage Jackson England heaved a 53-yard pass to Dalton Jones for the go-ahead score with just 1:13 showing on the clock. The extra point gave the Bison a 20-14 lead…one they would hold onto the rest of the way.

The Devils didn’t go down without a fight with little time remaining. Quarterback Jaycob Creel completed passes to Sam Sturm and Wayne Stephenson before Jones ended the threat of a Ravenswood comeback with an interception.

Buffalo took the early lead of the game on a 1-yard run by England with 1:26 to go in the first quarter. The extra point was good to make the score 7-0.

Ravenswood got things even in the second with just over eight minutes to go in the first half on a 4-yard run by Jacob Anthony. Tanner Snodgrass added the extra point.

Ravenswood’s big play of the drive was a 40-yard pass from Anthony to Stephenson on fourth down.

The Devils missed a golden opportunity for a halftime lead when Case Fletcher blocked a Bison punt giving Ravenswood the ball on the 5-yard line. A Bison interception ended the half in a tie game at 7-7.

Ravenswood would garner its first lead of the game by taking the second half kickoff and driving the length of the field for a score. The drive was capped off by Creel’s 5-yard TD dash. Snodgrass’ kick put the Devils in front 14-7.

Buffalo drew closer by scoring its first of two touchdowns with less than four minutes to play when England hit Andrew Clendenin for a score. The two-point conversion try to give Buffalo the lead was stopped as Anthony charged through the offense and sacked England, which in turned caused a fumble that was recovered by Nicki Nicholson to keep Ravenswood in front at 14-13.

In the rushing department, Anthony led the way with 107 yards on 18 carries and a score. Creel picked up 20 on nine carries and a TD. Stephenson had 20 yards on three carries.

Creel was 4-of-7 passing for 74 yards while suffering the two picks. Anthony had the one completion for 40 and Ben Queen contributed a 33-yard completion.

Stephenson led the way with four catches for 99 yards. Sturm had two catches for 48.

Creel punted once for 38 yards.

Defensively, Anthony turned in a brilliant game with 16 tackles (eight solo) with four going for a loss. He also forced a fumble, recovered a fumble, had a sack and blocked a punt.

Stephenson collected 10 tackles with one going for a loss. He also forced a fumble.

Isaiah Casto (five), Creek (six/ one pass breakup), Zack Graham (four/one for a loss), Devin Casto (four/one for a loss), Chose Hood (four), Bryce Lively (three), Fletcher (three/ one fumble recovery), Sturm (three), Queen (two), Nathan Moore (one) and Nicholson (fumble recovery) all contributed on the prevent side.