CHARLESTON – The Ravenswood boys basketball team’s time in the West Virginia Boys State Tournament was short-lived.

Thanks in part to a very long afternoon of shooting woes.

In its 50-28 loss to No. 2 seed Bridgeport in a Class AA quarterfinal round game, the Devils finished 8-of-33 from the field and just 2-of-18 from the 3-point line.

“We shot the ball poorly all day,” Ravenswood head coach Mick Price said after the game.  

Despite its struggles shooting, Ravenswood, the No. 7 seed, found itself tied with the Indians at halftime, 18-18.

In the third quarter, Bridgeport outscored Ravenswood 16-7 and because of the Devils’ shooting difficulties essentially put the game out of reach.

“Boy, in the third quarter they put the ball up on the glass and went after it,” Price said. “They were more physical than us. They got after it. That really hurt us and they made some key shots.”

Ravenswood managed just a 3-pointer from Blake Bennett in the final quarter as the Indians again racked up 16 points.

After trailing 13-7 following the first quarter, Ravenswood produced its best eight minutes of the day from an offensive standpoint with an 11-5 edge in scoring.

“I was pleased with our kids’ job defensively,” Price said. “I thought we were right where we needed to be with them.”

Junior Riley Heatherington led Ravenswood in scoring with eight points, including one 3-pointer. Junior Hayden Mandrake and the team’s lone senior Logan Jarrett each scored six points. Sophomore Jayden Rhodes finished with three points and sophomore Stephen Dawson scored two.

Ravenswood was 10-of-12 at the free throw line while Bridgeport was 8-of-13.

Bridgeport made 20-of-51 from the field and like Ravenswood connected on only two 3-point attempts in 12 tries.

UNC-Greenville recruit Nick Greely scored 17 to pace the attack offensively while Hunter Haddix added 13.

The Indians outrebounded the Devils, 37-23.

Dawson was Ravenswood’s top rebounder with seven.

“Bridgeport is a good team. They have a lot of weapons. They’re very physical,” Price said. “I thought defensively they took us out of a lot of stuff. They contested every one of our shots.”

The loss ended Ravenswood’s season at 17-9 while Bridgeport marched on to semifinal Friday with a 23-2 record. The Indians were slated to meet rival Fairmont Sr., the No. 3 seed, Friday morning. Bridgeport defeated the Polar Bears twice during the regular season.

While Ravenswood’s season came to an abrupt halt, Price was proud of his team for what it accomplished.

“We got through a lot of injuries this year that we had. We had to move multiple guys to play multiple positions this year,” Price said. “We only have one senior in Logan Jarett. I love the kid. I’m really proud of Logan because he was the leader of the team.”

The game was the last for Ravenswood (at least for a four-year period) at the Class AA level. Starting with the 2016-17 school year, Ravenswood will be the state’s largest Class A school.