RAVENSWOOD - On Tuesday, July 1, at approximately at 10:30 a.m., Ravenswood Police Lt. Mike Parsons was dispatched to the Ravenswood Wendy’s in reference to an intoxicated male subject on a four-wheeler, later identified as 37-year-old Daniel Welsh.

Upon arrival Lieutenant Parsons noticed a bag on the four-wheeler and within the bag Parsons saw what appeared to be a handgun. Parsons removed the handgun and placed it in his cruiser for officer safety reasons and due to the fact that the perpetrator had it concealed.
At this point, Lieutenant Parsons had called for backup to assist him.
Lieutenant Parsons then asked Welsh to place his hands behind his back.  However, Welsh allegedly responded that he was not going to comply with Parsons’ request.
Having been asked three separate times to comply, Welsh then allegedly turned and placed his hands in his pocket removing a pistol.

Witnessing this action Parsons then pulled out his taser. The perpetrator turned to face Parsons allegedly raising the gun towards him. Lt. Parsons used his taser on the attacker, but only one prong from the taser was able to reach the attacker, which rendered it useless. The subject then pointed the firearm at Parsons stating he was not going to be arrested.
Welsh then ran towards the Ohio River. At that point Sheriff’s Deputies, on-duty personnel and off-duty personnel had responded to the back-up call placed by Parsons.

All converged on the runaway perpetrator in the area of Martin Marietta.
Welsh was standing on the railroad tracks in possession of two firearms, one in his hands the other on the ground at his feet. Both Deputy Sheriffs and State Police Troopers attempted unsuccessfully  to negotiate with Welsh.
Approximately one hour later after unsuccessful attempts at negotiating with Welsh to remove the handgun from his possession, officers used less than lethal force to apprehend Welsh in the form of a beanbag gun deployed by the Sheriff’s Department. Upon utilization of the beanbag gun, Welsh was apprehended and taken in to custody at 12:01 p.m.  

Lance Morrison, Ravenswood Chief of Police stated, “Everyday police officers goal is to go home at the end of the night to their family, the reason that happened today is because we had the cooperation and assistance of the Jackson County Sheriffs Department and the West Virginia State Police. We all help one another, we are there for one another and we all do the same job. We will do everything we can to make certain everyone goes home at the end of the night. It is because of this cooperation that the bad guy ended up going to jail and the officers going home.”

Welsh remains lodged in the South Central Regional Jail in lieu of $300,000 bond for Jackson County charges and another $1,000 bond for Wood County offenses.