KIDWELL – Ravenswood’s Red Devil soccer team split road games at Tyler Consolidated and Williamstown last week.
At Tyler, the Devils lost 3-0 in a very well played match by both teams.
 “We had one great chance in the first half when Dalton Gandee took a far shot but their keeper barely got a fingertip on it and pushed it over the goal,” said Coach Todd Murray.. 

The second half started with the Devils putting a lot of heat on Tyler Consolidated.  Nate Schiefer had a lot of chances on free kicks and breakaways but just couldn’t finish it off.  
Eventually Ravenswood’s defense broke down and Tyler got though. Dylan Romine scored two goals and a score on a free kick made the game to 3-0.

“We were low in numbers again for the game,” said Murray. “This time our starting keeper was out sick, so Nick Vaughn stepped up and filled in.  He did a great job and really helped the team out in keeping the score at 3-0. The Devils edged Williamstown 3-2 last as Nate Schiefer, Dalton Gandee and Jeremy Butler each scored a goal. Gandee and Nick Vaughn had one assist each.

On Ravenswood’s first goal of the game, Nick Vaughn had a free kick inside Devil territory. He saw Dalton Gandee on the far side of the field and lofted the ball high and wide. Gandee trapped it and immediately took a shot from about 40 yards out. The keeper was being a little over zealous and was out of the goal a bit. The shot sailed high and went over the keeper and into the top of the goal.  
“It was a fantastic shot and a very good heads up play by Nick and Dalton to see each other, see the keeper out, and then to be able to execute everything perfect at the same time,” said Coach Murray.  
On the Devils’ second goal of the game, Dalton Gandee took a corner kick. “During the season, we have been pulling one of our defenders (Jeremy Butler) up on corners this year,” said Murray.
“He is so tall and this time it really paid off. Gandee sent a perfect ball in, and Butler beat everyone to it and sent it straight into the goal.” 

Williamstown scored a goal before the half to make it 2-1 at the break.
Midway through the second half, a Williamstown penalty kick made it 2-2.  
“On the field, captain Pat Berry saw we needed to make a change,” said Murray.  “This ended up being a game-winning move. He went back to defense to make our back four a little more solid, but with the short field he wasn’t really out of the attacking part. Pat was able to help stop attacks and with his strong legs, he was able to steal the ball and then blast the ball back up to our front attackers. 

“After a few tries on goal, the ball eventually made its way to Nate Schiefer.  I never promote a player to dribble through eight people and take a shot without passing it off.
This time, it didn’t matter.  Nate received the ball around midfield and took off on a mission. He literally beat almost every player on the Williamstown team, bobbing and weaving all the way down into the box and after beating  the last defender blasted the ball past the keeper for the game-winning goal.”